Thursday, October 23, 2008

Miss Bertha

Miss Bertha is a Light Brahma pullet. She is my husband's favorite chick (besides me!).

Light Brahma's are a heavy breed chicken. They are very hardy and are brown egg layers. Miss Bertha isn't laying yet but come Spring she should be quite productive. I can't wait!

I'm so sad that we lost her twin sister. I'd love to have more Brahma's because they are so sweet and pretty but even the hatcheries are sold out right now. Miss Bertha is not a show chicken, she comes from hatchery stock but I think she's a beauty anyway. I can't wait to see her when she's full grown. She's only 8 weeks old right now.


Now, I have a thing about bird feet. They look kinda freaky. But, look at her neat feathered feet.

Miss Bertha takes lots of naps with her sisters. Here she is with Miss Rhoda.


And lastly, here are the new babies. I had to order these to replace the ones killed by the evil rat terrier Sassy.

There are 27!!! of them. They are still just little girls, only 3 weeks old. I tried to brood them but it seems the rules are a bit different here in South Louisiana. These girls do not like being under lights. They like being outside! lol They will chirp and holler and have a fit until I put them out there. I guess our normal weather feels like a brooder. It does to me!

We sectioned off a little area for them inside the big girls fence. We had to seperate them because the big girls were pecking them. They are starting to get used to each other now though. Once they get big enough to defend themselves we'll start easing them into the same space.

I never expected to have 37 chickens. Heck, I didn't WANT 37 chickens but I was so sad when we lost half the other batch I just had to order more and they won't send less than 25 at a time for the safety of the chicks. This last time they threw in 2 extra. Now I love them all. It's a horrible addiction, I tell ya.

4 comments:

Vintage Chicken said...

Wow... you are going to have a bunch of EGGS this spring! I really wish we were closer - I just love fresh hen eggs!

I remember waking up to the sounds of the roosters and then hens in my grandmother's yard - I loved that sound.

Good luck with this batch of chicks!

Laurie and Bill said...

How neat! I love fresh eggs, too! They are so cute!

Andrea said...

I was telling someone the other day about your chickens!! I was saying how I wanted to build a coup so I could have some chickens. Then I thought that maybe I could just buy eggs from you!! I don't know a thing about chickens!!

Wendy said...

I'll need all the customers I can get! No way will we be able to eat that many eggs.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed