Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ok, Ok, I know I need to update.....

So, it's been a while since I posted. I told ya'll this would be hard for me!!! I have the hardest time coming up with things to write about. Well, that's not entirely true. I come up with topics in my head all the time. It's getting them typed out that's my problem.


We went to Holly Beach this past weekend. It's always been one of our main summer destinations. After years and years of spending the summers there, I started taking it for granted. It even got to the point where I was sick on going.

Holly Beach is not a pretty place by most people's standards. There's no white sand or blue water. The water looks more like chocolate milk. She has a beauty all her own. If you look past her surface flaws, you find a very whimsical, enchanting place. I have lots and lots of good memories there.

One day in September 2005 a big bad wolf named Rita came blowing in to Holly Beach with her 15+ foot wall of water and changed this
Into this

The first time I went back after the storm, I couldn't hold back the tears. It almost felt like a part of me was pulled out. Not to mention the hurt I felt for the people who lived there, in Cameron and Creole. Thankfully everyone had evacuated and no one lost their lives.

Today they are rebuilding but it's not the same. The landmarks are gone. Most of the roads are washed away. I can't tell where anything used to be. New people have moved in and bought lots and built huge fancy houses, which in my opinion is silly but, that's their business. It used to be such a laid back place with all it's little cabins. It didn't look like anybody was trying to outdo anybody else as far as material possessions go. With all these big houses, it looks like they are trying to pretend they're in some resort town. A resort town Holly Beach is not! lol I guess I just don't do well with change but I feel like it's changed the whole atmosphere there.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Stacy's family used to own a beach house there and they sold it in 2001. It's so crazy how everything got wiped out. Holly Beach was where stacy took me on our first motocylce ride. I played in the gulf waters!! It was fun!! I haven't been there since then. It's so dang expensive to build down there, you have to be a millionare to buy three lots to build a house. SOmthing about housing codes and the septic tanks. I would love to go back!!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed