Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cleaning the Oven

I cleaned my oven today. I consider myself a pretty good homemaker but this is not my favorite chore. It's not exactly on the list of my top priorities. I'm ashamed to admit that it's been at least a year since I've done it. It was really, really bad. I would have been embarrassed had someone looked in there. YIKES! How does that stuff get in there anyway? I mean, it's not like I stand there and throw the food directly into it.

I'm not one to use many harsh chemicals in my house but there is a time and place for everything. Today, I made friends with a can of Easy Off. Thank God for this stuff or I would have put off cleaning the oven for at least another year. I left it on there for several hours and I still had some scrubbing to do. After about 45 minutes, it looks brand new!! Ok, maybe not BRAND new. There are a few spots that we'll just have to live with. I'm done. My legs are numb from kneeling and my hands are raw. I scrubbed straight through one of those sponges with the scrubber thingy on them.

Oh well, at least it's done now and I feel better about myself. ;-) I'll try not to let it go another year. I mean, it would be much easier if it were done regularly right? Or not...........

Note to self..................A self cleaning oven is worth the extra $$$.

Go forth ladies (and gentlemen) and take a look at your oven. Is it screaming in agony like mine was or do you take extra good care of it?

3 comments:

Vintage Chicken said...

Aren't you the industrious one? I have a self cleaning oven and I usually only use it once a year, since it heat up the house so much I reserve 'oven cleaning' day for one of the really cold days in winter. However, if I didn't have a self-cleaning oven, I seriously doubt I would give cleaning it a second thought! LOL

Andrea said...

I hate doing that too! We have a self cleaning oven and I used Easy Off on it with out knowing how to use the self cleaning mode. Duh!! Now I use the self cleaning mode only when i can open every door and window in my house. I hate the smell of burnt junk. But it sure feels good to start out with something so dirty and end up with it looking great.
You must have been really srubbing to have gone through a sponge!!! That is crazy!

Anonymous said...

Good post.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed